Tuesday 9 September 2008

Vancouver
















Yesterday I went into Vancouver, just to do some sightseeing. Things got off to a bad start in that I just missed the 7.30 mainline train (should have got up 2 minutes earlier). However I drove closer to the city to a place called Lougheed and got the Skytrain straight into the city from there. Skytrain is a rapid transport system which is a bit like the Metro but most of the time operates on a railway system going over the traffic, but it also goes underground, so its the best of both worlds. I headed for the waterfront area and Canada Place. Large cruise ships dock at the very edge of the city centre, so its really convenient. The harbour area is very large with the added attraction of sea planes going in and out all of the time.
The city is very modern, with many high rise glass buildings, but there is also a lot of greenery around so there is a nice feel about the place. You don't have to go far before you find some pretty serious shopping areas. The biggest store I was in was the Hudson Bay Company. There were at least five floors and I think two lower levels. They have tour buses which look like the tram cars in San Francisco. I only scratched the surface in my trip into Vancouver and could have spent a lot longer there. I have attached some pictures as usual, the ship that in the picture is called the Island Princess, it was so big I just could not get it all on the picture.

I am now in the process of trying to get as up to-date as I can before I leave on Thursday. Will try and get at least one more update in before I head back. John 9/9

No comments: